Sunday, September 5, 2010

To those who advised Regine to not tell she's a Filipina during her rise in Asia-- "I am a Filipina. But I can sing!"



Yes, we are a nation of servants. The truth hurts, eh? But look, where will the rage, the affront, the repugnance bring us? To the same state of complacency and lack of desire to improve our nationalistic sense? 
This is another one of F. Sionil Jose's essays. He's an old man. All he can do is to write about what we, the young generation, the next in line, the "pag-asa ng bayan" could do. I just hope admonitions such as these will be heeded by the youth. 

How many of you have the time to watch this, instead of watching videos of your favorite Korean superstar? My theory is that the youth seeks the unintelligible to escape the piercing truth of the state of the Filipinos in plain, understandable language. Well my advice is, FACE IT. 

If not now then when? If not us, then who?

The past, the present and the future of the Philippines is enough to remind us that our generation cannot afford to screw up. 

P.S. And yes, Regine was asked to not say she's Filipina, because in neighbouring Asian countries, Filipina means domestic helper. But she exclaimed to anyone who asks, "I am a Filipina. But I can sing!"

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails