Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fly Me to the Moon

I want to escape all this ruckus. And one solution would have to be flying myself to the moon. If only I'm as ingenious as Phineas and Ferb, the siblings who could conjure a spaceship in their backyard without so much of a fuss.

But then again I'm JanMell. And I should take responsibility for whatever lapses of judgment I had incurred that made things wonderfully worse. I seriously pray that these PALAKASAN issues be settled already with the least possible damage to friendships. Personally, I don't care If I lose the sympathy of a whole college. What bugs me is to lose the closeness of a single friend.

*****************

During our Plant Tour in Cebu I bought a copy of Jessica Zafra's Twisted 8 and 1/2. (I also obtained a copy of Ian McEwan's Saturday and the classic Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas by Jules Verne. Until that time, I did not know that Jules Verne is the most translated author of all time.) One article in the compilation was entitled The Moon, The Meryl. There's this thing about the Meryl Syndrome. Apparently, people doesn't get excited with the excellent performances of Meryl Streep anymore because they have become used to her superb artistry. After reading it, I thought the same idea applies to Regine Velasquez, this time in singing. I call it The Regine Syndrome when listeners do not get too enthralled with you singing on stage because they have become used to you singing beautifully and mind-blowingly. (That's actually literally mind-blowing, try reaching B5 with pure chest and you'll know what I mean.) I think that explains why the only video of Regine who reached a million views is the video where she sang Beyonce's Listen with awfully wrong lyrics. The public wants something different from Regine's impeccable vocals. And that would spark their interest towards her.

*************
Have you made a bus wait and delayed a field trip departure just because of books? Yes I did. Thanks to the hardbound Ian McEwan, the classic Jules Verne and the wicked Grungella, Ms. Zafra. They cost Php 300 all in all and of course a scold from the official chaperon. Note to self: Do not say "be back in a jiffy" if going to National Bookstore, or any bookstore for that matter.




Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails