Friday, August 27, 2010

Plant Tour MMX: Purging one of the 7 deadly sins

I never thought standing in front of the real, tangible Magellan's Cross would be hair-raising. Previously we've been to Pepsi Cola Products Philippines Inc. (PPCPI) where I committed indifference and earlier committed envy with the laboratories of the University of San Carlos. My goosebumps or horripilation or in medspeak, cutis anserina   (I claim to be a frustrated medical student) could be attributed to these depravities. It's as if the historical and religious ambiance was declaring someone like me unfit for the visit. But still I insisted. I admit indifference is a crime, and I often label it as The Sin, but boredom is a sure excuse to feel indifferent and to not feel envious when dumbfounded with equipment beyond your level is impossible. Hence, I concluded it was all forgivable. Don't ask me why, we can't confirm it with God, can we?

Here's an interesting fact we non-Cebuanos share. We saw this same image from our elementary Sibika at Kultura book. (Remember the Burnham Park, the Hagdang-hagdang Palayan?). I was enthralled to see it for real and unable to help myself, asked: " If Magellan brought this cross centuries ago (1521), erected this during the country's first Catholic rites, then how come it looks new?" Disregarding the idea of termites afraid of the consecrated wood and sanctity-induced immunity from biodegradation, I read the signpost at the foot of the cross. It says that the original wood is now enclosed by the new one, probably for aesthetic reasons. For me, it also gives an additional eerie feeling knowing that beneath the superficial gloss is that thing that symbolizes all of Catholicism-- the first ever to be engraved in the minds of the Filipino natives. It's the mystery factor that prevailed. 


Nearby is the Basilica del Sto. Nino where the statue of the Holy child is kept. It has become a tourist spot partly because it is thought to be miraculous, answering deep devotees' prayers (It's the apparent trend. Saints only answers prayers from devotees. It's called reciprocation. Duh) and partly because historically, it was given by Magellan to the then chieftain of Cebu, Rajah Humabon in 1521. The Sto. Nino is the patron saint of Cebu for which they dedicate the renowned Sinulog Festival. Strolling around the vicinity of the basilica was lethargic. It smelled like the Spanish era was just around the corner. And one more thing, the balloons smelled like childhood. I felt like having one.

Thank you Wenggay for the pic and the pose.

To prove that you can learn something from this post, the ones responsible for the artwork on the ceiling of the Magellan's cross were Serry M. Josol and Jess Roa. Moreover, the enclosure is octagonal. Nothing. I just figured it would help me win a million someday. Ahh, gameshows!

Photos by Karl Ondoy. Again, tenchuu.

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails