Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Training the Dragon Within Me

In the middle of my class I received a text message. I thought it was just my textmate-- SMART, who always sends me the hottest, newest ringtones as if my phone will ever be capable of downloading one. To my surprise, it was the governor of the College of Engineering Executive Council, summoning me to appear before his excellent presence. I was thrilled. I felt like Lea Salonga being invited to sing before the Queen. My mind was asking, "What made the EC governor rummage for my mobile number?" Cripes, aside from janitorial purposes, I could only think of criminal reasons. Composing myself, I exited gracefully from my class, and ushered myself to the council's office. Then and there he asked me why he needed me. I prepared myself for a sudden outburst. 

Yes, I'm exaggerating.

Duh. He just asked me if I could be the emcee for the college's acquaintance party the next evening, citing carefully that the seasoned public speaker slash debater (one of the very few institute's best) and host of the previous acquaintance parties Ms. Ara Reyna Mamon refused to become the emcee because she wanted to experience what it feels like to loiter with her batchmates and be a part of the audience and hence recommended me in her lieu. You may as well argue that it's nothing, but for me, it's overtly something. I did not know what to make of it though. Certainly, it was flattering. For God's sake it's a big event. But I said i cannot refuse the governor, and suggested I tag along a partner, a very very effective partner (Oy, Beverly!)-- and I accepted it. 
I don't care if I don't have time to rehearse. Students wouldn't bother anyway. They're keener on the dinner portion than minding my blah-blahs.

The moment I received my copy of the program I thought it was spectacular. The concept was borrowed from the movie "How to Train Your Dragon." ( No copyright infringement intended though and they acknowledge the intellectual properties of whoever made this animation. ) Fitting for the college's symbol, and perfect connotation for engineering students coming together to discuss and celebrate COE life (not to mention an initiation rite for the ever docile freshmen.)



So my ever creative and flamboyant friend (aakalain mong na-possess ng bakla) Beverly created an introductory spiel that perfectly, as if by some kind of esoteric power, captured the whole spirit of the motion theme that I could not help but believe that she really is one of our batch's literary gems. (I will post the script later because I lost my copy.) True enough, it brought down the house and started the ball rolling quite paced, making us busy enough to deserve our VIP treatment. That's Food and Fame, quite unlikely but still desirable.

Photos Courtesy of Kerr Vien Abueva of COE-EC

O, the benefits of being the emcee, right, Bevs? (Thank you very much for that very inspiring message (put title and name of speaker here). At this junction we would like to call in (put name of next speaker here) for his Not-So- Short Talk. A round of applause, please.)
Very generic, very chicken.

But I couldn't stand the blinding lights directed straight at me, torturing people at the sight of my face, and the dreadful feeling of committing a diction error. (Like pronouncing pleasure as PLEASEsure, ugh!, haunting. It's like a deep wound throbbing painfully and making your consciousness ache.)

Nevertheless, I'm grateful to people who believed in my capacity to endure such. You know who you are.

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails