Monday, July 26, 2010

The Philosophy of Dr. House

One advantage of having too many members in one group is that some of the members apparently will have nothing to do, especially if the work is too simplistic. Perhaps being one of the very useful ones, I distanced myself away from my busy classmates and rested in the thought that "too many cooks will spoil the broth."

Then I got into a conversation with a classmate who apparently shares the same sentiment. We got to the point where I had to tell him what my dream job is.

"My dream job is to travel and write about my experiences, and then getting paid for it. Much like columnists in the Leisure, Travel and Living Sections in broadsheets."

"So nganong ga-Chem Eng man ka?"( so why then did you take up Chemical Engineering?), he asked, with an expression that reads despair over my choice of course. ("akala affected")

I did not know what to say. I just stared at him and shrugged my shoulders. I know I have already answered that question when I submitted an essay about the reason why I ventured into Chemineering to our ChE Ethics teacher ( see Why did you take up Chemical Engineering, huh, JanMell?) but something in his reaction made me stutter and grope for words, indicative of how much I feel like I've done it all wrong.

Then the topic went to being successful in life, and once again I announced that I'm beginning to feel that I wouldn't get rich as an engineer. Most probably I'd get rich by some other way, like writing or show business until I realized I was already delusional.

He said, (I heard it for the nth time) "for one to be successful one has to realize that three things govern this world: money, power and sex."

"I know what you'll say next, that if sex wasn't so damn good the human race would have died eons ago."
"No. I'm not that predictable. Duh."

Silence.

Not to be mistaken as a newly discharged patient. The mask is the best defense against the raging dust that comes with going to Taal volcano crater.
 

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails