Monday, June 21, 2010

A Father-Daughter Dilemma

I was watching a replay of the Pilipinas Got Talent Finals on Studio 23 when my phone rang. It was a good friend (Oy,Tors), and she called to inform me that they would be watching KC and Gabby's (and of course, Jericho's!) movie I'll be There. It was already 7:20 pm, and the last full show at the not-so-mall-ish mall starts by 8 pm. My reply: Uhhuh. I'll be there.







I was a little hesitant about watching the movie. For one, I'm not really a fan of emotional movies, much more on movies dwelling with father-child relationships. My relationship with my father isn't rosy, but it's not enough to make the movie poignant. It turned out that I was right.


Nevertheless, I watched. It turned out that the character's dilemma commenced in one Post-it note, where KC's boyfriend announced that he swindled her money (euphemism: this is not working for us anymore) intended for her soon to be opened boutique. The problem was, the money was only lent to her by a fearsome (yes, fearsome) financier played by Celia Rodriguez (no wonder). So she went back to the Philippines, to her long lost father, to claim her share of the family properties. But her father (Gabby Concepcion) can only produce the money in 30 days, so he urged KC to live with him. And the story unfolds with the only thing that was keeping me awake was KC's fashion sense (expected, since her role is a frustrated but promising fashion designer). During the course of the movie, my friends never fail to exclaim how they love to have KC's bags, and how they would look if they would wear KC's top. And oh, how can I forget Jericho Rosales. He's still got that kilig factor, and the killer looks! Mapapa-shet ka talaga. I also got from Jericho the most memorable line from the movie, "Be nice to the world, so the world be nice to you." Kinda like The Secret.


Admit it. The movie is a so-so. It did not even managed to make me feel good (although it made others cry, but not me). Some viewers exited even before the movie ended. (How could they? Haha) However, I just love the STARFISH analogy. Starfishes regenerate lost body parts, if they could only manage to go home. In the movie, KC and Gabby, healed their hearts wounded from past hurts, abandonment and oblivion, by going home to each other. To start the days anew, with a newfound daughter for Gabby, and a loving father for KC. (Yes, sila ni Jericho dun.)


Maybe if I could relate a little more, I would have liked it. But for now, I would like to have a try at the product of Gabby's business venture in the movie- yeah, you got it, lambanog.

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails